Saturday, November 16, 2013

Spaghetti Squash with Kale and Sausage

With a lot of the recipes I use I like to experiment and replace any carb, meat or dairy with veggies or nut milk. I had half of my sausage left from when I made my sausage gravy and wanted to use it in a pasta. But not being in a mood to stuff my face with calorie packed pasta noodles I replaced them with my spaghetti squash:

Spaghetti Squash with Kale and Sausage




Ingredients:
  • 1/2lb ground sausage
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 egg
  • 1 medium spaghetti squash
  • 1 bundle of kale chopped roughly, stalks removed
  • 2 cloves garlic pressed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 sweet onion diced
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp ground sage
  • 8 oz shredded mozzarella 
Directions:



  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cut your squash in half (it will take some muscle) and gut it of the strings and seeds. Then place the two sides face down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes
  3. In a large pan take and crumble your sausage and put your onion in to saute. 
  4. Once the meat is no longer red and the onion is starting to become translucent you can add your kale, garlic and broth. 
  5. When the kale leaves are getting tender add your sage, salt and pepper (to taste) and thyme. Stir thoroughly.
  6. Then when the squash is done use a fork to remove the flesh, breaking the strings apart as you go  along.
  7. Add the squash and 1 egg to the kale and sausage mix. Stir well on a medium heat. 
  8. Remove from heat and place in an 8x8 baking dish. Stir in your mozzarella.
  9. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a bit bubbly.
  10. Serve!


You can cut your calorie count and just use half of the 8 oz mozzarella bag. Or just cut the cheese all together and just add another egg. Feel free to also omit the meat and use carrots or broccoli instead. This was AWESOME, I ended up stuffing my face anyway and just accepting that good food will always win. Happy Eatings!

No comments:

Post a Comment