Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Homemade Hamburger Helper


I've read, scanned and visited many food blogs, and though all have something to offer, I can tell you the one thing that bores me in each and every one of them is how the blogger drones on about what they or their kids did that day or the hints of saffron and why it's important. Some pepper it with witty banter or sweet nothings but I can't seem to find the drive to do that here. Instead I need to take the more fervent approach where I reach your hearts through your stomachs. Though some blogs may have better photos or their design is a lot more sophisticated, the bottom line is simple that this is therapy for me (and delicious for you). Not just food in general but the act of making it, the joy of serving it and the simple happiness of eating my kitchen concoctions. 

Any chance I get to serve people through food I do it. I have always and will always take pride in it. So when a friend comes over and sits on the couch and seems surprised or overly thankful for the little morsels or the meal I have prepared for them, know, the time and effort put into that dish isn't just to see them smile and feed their bellies (though that is a large part of it), it is simply a way for me to show affection and to feel pride in something I do. My own brand of therapy.

But enough of this, let's get on to the eats!
Oh and the listening, here's what's on my ipod right now:







Ingredients:

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 or medium sized tomato diced
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water
  • 2 cups elbow macaroni
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese


  • Directions:


    1. Combine all of your sugar and spices into a small dish and set aside.
    2. In a large skillet brown your ground beef and drain of fat.
    3. Next add your macaroni, milk, spice mixture and water. Bring to a boil.
    4. Then cover and turn down the heat to let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
    5.  Finally add your cheese and tomato to your helper, mixing well so that the cheese melts.
    6. Serve!
    I hope you enjoy this one! Happy Eatings Everyone!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment