Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pecan and Lentil Chard Rolls

I feel as though I haven't made a good vegetarian dish in a while, what with leftovers over the holiday break, the veggies are feeling a little neglected. So I am apologizing to the greens with a healthy dish that's made up of almost entirely vegetable. My body, my mind and my stomach will appreciate the nutrition and so will yours:


  • 1 cup green lentils
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic diced
  • 1 cup chopped mushroom
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup mozzarella 
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • pepper to taste
  • 6-8 leaves of red or rainbow chard (stems removed)
Directions:
  1. Put lentils in broth over a stove top. Once it starts boiling cover and let cook for 25 minutes.
  2. In a small fry pan put garlic, mushrooms, onion and olive oil and cook until onion is translucent and mushrooms are soft.
  3. Once lentils are done cooking, drain of any excess liquid. Then add your mushroom mix and pepper to taste.
  4. Next add mozzarella and stir until cheese is melted. It will look stringy. 
  5. Lay flat large enough chard leaves to put about an 1/8 cup of lentil mix in the middle of the leaves.  Sprinkle a little pecan on top.
  6. You will eat these like tacos, the roll ups were a dream that crashed, so I just folded the leaves in half over the lentils and chomped away.

These were delicious and made about 9 medium-large leaf "tacos". 
I was right these little morsels made my tummy so happy. Happy Eatings Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment