Saturday, April 4, 2015

Lemon Bars from Scratch

I am sure I have mentioned in the past that sweets are not my forte, nor do I crave them. For some reason though, when lemons enter the ring I go nuts, lemon gelato, lemon pound cake, lemon popsicles and most importantly lemon bars. Now, we all know lemon bars as this thick, gooey, powdered sugar ladened dessert, but it's so processed and WAY too sugary for my taste, that I set out on a mission to find a 'from scratch' recipe that hit my lemon cravings but didn't overload me on sweets. These were soft, tart and made with a portion of the amount of sugar other recipes called for, not to mention REAL lemon juice. I skipped the powdered sugar that traditionally is sprinkled over lemon bars and instead let the lemons speak for themselves. Hope you enjoy them! Om nom nom.




Ingredients:
  • 1 cup softened butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3-4 lemons squeezed, juice set aside
I went out record shopping the other day and stumbled upon some lucky finds. A poet and pioneer of rap, Gil Scott Heron was an innovator. Paving the way for any hip hop artist, Scott Heron turned poems scrutinizing politics and society to songs, then placed them over experimental music. Seriously love this visionary.



Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl mix together butter, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 cups flour.
  3. Press flour mix to the bottom of a 9X13 greased pan and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
  4. While crust is baking whisk together the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, then pour over your crust when it's finished.
  5. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Let cool.
  6. Cut then serve!

Happy Eatings Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment