Thursday, September 5, 2013

Acorn Squash Soup

Steamy Goodness 

Last night I was perusing the recipe kingdoms of pinterest and foodgawker and found this awesome recipe, with it simply entitled Acorn Squash with Kale I was instantly intrigued, and lucky for me, a friend brought me just those things the day before.

Usually when I look at a recipe, I alter it to where it's my own. I love going where my taste buds will me to go and with simplistic recipes such as this one, it is so easy to make it your own. Here is the link to the original recipe if you'd like to try to experiment yourself!

Anyway here's my version on a simple and awesome recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 acorn squash
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 vegetable bouillon 
  • 4 large kale leaves (stalks removed)
  • 1 large swiss chard leaf (stalks removed)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 finely chopped medium onion
  • Pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Wash and slice you acorn squash in either fourths or in half and remove seeds and stringy stuff. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
  3. While squash is baking, fry your bacon in a skillet until crispy. Remove bacon and place on paper towel for later, but leave fat in pan. 
  4. Next fry your onions and garlic in the bacon fat until light brown, then add your kale and chard and fry until soft. Set to side.
  5. When squash is done baking, let it cool for 10-15 minutes (do not put fresh out of the oven squash in your blender or it will not have a happy outcome)
  6. Then cut the hard skin off of them (discard the skin) and place the inner soft parts into your blender. (If you have a food processor or something that works better that's fine) Pulse until it is more liquid that chunky.
  7. Next place the squash into the skillet with your veggies.
  8. Add three cups of water and one bouillon cube. 
  9. Once the soup is boiling and the bouillon is dissolved, sprinkle your ground cinnamon on top and stir it in. 
  10. Serve up with bacon as "garnish" (haha garnish bacon)
Good-Bye Acorn Squash!


So there you have it. My take on Martha's recipe. I served the soup up with some classic grilled cheese sammies, due to the thunderstorms outside and the tea i was drinking, I felt like some comfort food.  I hope you enjoy it.






No comments:

Post a Comment