Monday, September 9, 2013

Meatless Monday Mushrooms

I am proud to be a local co-op and farmer's market shopper, something about knowing where my chops come from, leaves me feeling all warm and happy inside, while I roam around the market on saturday mornings I always hit my mushroom guy, my veggie stand that always sells the most amazing chard (kind of obsessed with chard) and of course my meat ladies who give us the best grass fed organic ground beef your taste buds ever had the pleasure of meeting. But, today is Monday so I thought I'd share my meatless monday recipe, with my baby bok choi and oyster mushrooms.

Oyster Mushroom Simple Stir-fry

Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 3 heads baby bok choi, chopped
  • 1 large leaf of swiss chard, chopped
  • 1/3 cup cashews
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped 
  • 8-9 medium sized oyster mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 1/2 tblsp coconut oil
  • dash of crushed bell pepper 
  • salt and pepper to taste
Note: This can go many ways with taste, you can add hoison sauce to the mixture after sauteing your veggies, add a dash of sriracha for a kick or add the class soy sauce to the rice and veggies.
Directions:
  1. In a pot bring 2 cups water to a boil and add one cup of white rice (about 15-20 minutes)
  2. In a fry pan, saute your onions and garlic in the coconut oil, before they lose their crispness add the bok choi and swiss chard. 
  3. Once leaves are tender add your mushrooms and cashews, serve on a plate with a serving of rice.

See! So easy!


As far as the sauces go, I must admit I am a class soy sauce type, but be sure to only add a drizzle , 1tbls of Kikkoman's has 920 mg of sodium in it! Yikes!  I know the Trader Joe's soy sauce is seriously low sodium, so that might work better.

Note: Eating this while I am typing... *sings* yum yum in my tum tum tummmyyyyyy!

No comments:

Post a Comment