Tuesday, February 10, 2015

One Pot Lentil Sloppy Joes

I have been obsessing over tiny houses/busses. Back when my husband and I were starting to date we would talk about how cool it would be to live in a converted old bus and just pick up and go whenever you wanted to. I don't need things and I'd rather have space in my yard than that island in the kitchen or a formal dining area. I just can't get enough of the storage tricks and the absolute simplicity these homes have to offer. Sigh. Anyway, speaking of simplicity, here's something that is sure to knock your boots off!


Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 red or green bell pepper roughly chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 large shallot sliced thinly
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 2 tsps apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsps brown sugar
  • 1.5 tsp chili powder
  • .5 tsp ground black pepper
  • .5 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 4-6 large iceburg lettuce leaves
God I love me some old timey country/rockabilly, and I LOVE me some sass. This woman is the best at screaming and singing and making you feel like a bad ass. So here is my long time love, Wanda Jackson. I hope you try to sing like her in your car like I do (it's fun, trust me):



Directions:
  1. In a large sauce pot heat your oil up and fry up your bell pepper, garlic and shallot. 
  2. Once your veggies have softened add all other ingredients but your lettuce and heat until boiling. Once boiling lower heat to low and put a lid on your pot. Cook until lentils are soft.
  3. Serve on lettuce leaves!
Happy Eatings Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment