Sunday, October 6, 2013

Honey and Garlic Teriyaki Chicken

Whenever I feel like indulging myself in comfort foods I usually go for the likes of sushi, phad thai and chinese food. This past week, I needed to indulge, but with my wallet empty for restaurant spoils I had to fend for myself. Trying out a new technique for chicken, I grabbed my crock pot and ingredients to make my very own Honey and Garlic Teriyaki Chicken. Here's what I had to use in my cabinets/fridge:



Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp blackberry and rhubarb jam (just blackberry will do)
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/3 cup onion chopped
  • 2 chicken breast
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp hoison
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
  • sesame seeds for garnish

Directions:
  1. Place chicken breast at the bottom of crock pot.
  2. In a small bowl add jam, honey, hoison and crushed pepper, onion and garlic, then whisk until honey is not separating from the other additions. Then pour mixture over chicken and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
  3. When it is close to being done start a pot of white rice for your side according to the package.
  4. When done remove chicken from crock pot onto a cutting board, with two forks rip apart the chicken until shredded. Place in large bowl.
  5. In a small bowl whisk flour and water together until clumps are gone. Transfer your liquids from your crock pot to a sauce pan and add flour mixture.
  6. Bring marinade to boil and cook until it had thickened.
  7. When done pour into large bowl with your chicken and mix the two together well. 
  8. Dash a little sesame seed over a serving of chicken for garnish and serve with rice or steamed veggies or both!

This dish certainly kept my taste buds satisfied. I'll definitely remember this one the next time I reach for my wallet and waste away calories on greasy take out chinese food. If I had had scallions in my fridge I would have add that as a garnish as well, but beggars can't be choosers. An upside was that there was enough for 4 in this recipe so our little house of 2 had leftovers the next day and made the comfort food last for a little bit longer. Mmmmmmm. Happy Eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment