Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Quinoa and Apple Stuffed Squash

I was going make this recipe yesterday but, what with the new Breaking Bad finally in my possession and offers of pizza in the air, I had to say "another day squash!" But I got to it today and it was nutritious and delicious (its in my belly now as we speak). Everyone seems to think that preparing squash is hard, let me let you in on the secret... IT'S NOT. You cut it in half, take out seeds and bake it. Bodda-bing bodda-boom. Here you go:




Ingredients:

  • 2 acorn squash
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup frozen kale (or 4 leaves  fresh, the ones at the market didn't look too good this week)
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 3 pieces bacon or 5 links of sausage cut into pieces
  • 1 apple sliced into fours
  • 2 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette 
  • Honey


Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Cut (in half) and gut your squash of the seeds and strings, then drizzle it with honey
  3. Take your sliced apple and place it in the same dish as the squash.
  4. Bake the squash for 45 minutes and the apple for only 20
  5. While squash and apples are baking cook your quinoa according to package. (usually 1:2 ratio between quinoa and water). 
  6. Defrost your kale in the microwave or saute fresh leaves until soft. 
  7. When cooked add in 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinaigrette. Then mix it in with cooked quinoa.
  8. When the apple is done take it out of the oven and cut it into small pieces. Add to quinoa.
  9. In a fry pan fry up your bacon or sausage and minced garlic together.  Drain of fat.
  10. When done add it to you quinoa mixture, along with the other tablespoon of vinaigrette.
  11. Add a half cup of mixture to your squash. I only cooked one squash so I have lots of extra mixture (yummy lunch for the next day!)
  12. Salt and pepper the top and serve!


I loved this recipe, it was a perfect mixture sweet and salty and nutty. I will definitely be making this again. At least, until my fiance tells me no more on the squash and pumpkin concoctions! (It wont ever stop)


No comments:

Post a Comment