Monday, October 14, 2013

Maple Tempeh and Teriyaki Brown Rice

Tempeh is one of those newer items in my kitchen. Hailing from Indonesia all the way to my local grocer I started picking it up because it looked strange and I am always game for something new. My confidence level in baking or cooking with it is still building up, it isn't high just yet so I am relying on other's recipes for inspiration with tastes and experimenting with it a little. I tried to find something simple so I could start slow (as I do with any new ingredient) and I found a recipe for maple glazed tempeh that intrigued me. So here's my experiment and me getting my feet wet with this awesomely strange item:





Ingredients:

  • 8oz tempeh 
  • 2 cups crimini or shitake mushrooms
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup 
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce
  • Sesame seeds
Directions:
  1. In a small container with a lid mix soy sauce, maple syrup, cayenne and garlic together.
  2. Then take your tempeh and cut down the middle the long way to make pieces thinner and then cut into about 12 pieces.
  3. Place your tempeh into the container with mixture. With lid securely on toss the mixture and tempeh so the glaze coats the tempeh.
  4. Place in fridge for an hour or up to 2 days, tossing the glaze and tempeh every once and a while.
  5. While tempeh is in fridge cook your brown rice according to package directions.
  6. When done take your tempeh and saute in a pan until both sides are golden brown in color.
  7. Saute your mushrooms in a saute pan until soft. Set aside.
  8. When rice is done take your teriyaki and mix it in along with your mushrooms.
  9. Sprinkle sesame seeds on your tempeh.
  10. Serve with a veggie of your choosing!


So this turned out pretty good. I will definitely use this recipe again but try some new things with it. Maybe try it with a different side? I found a great bok choy recipe I think I should use.  But there it is and I hope you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment