Saturday, October 26, 2013

Two Beans and Split Pea Soup

I blanch and freeze so many veggies for the fall that I never know what to do with them. My favorite thing however is just dumping them and whatever else I may have in my kitchen into a pot, add some water and POOF you have soup. Its easy, healthy and just satisfying on any cold night. Add some toast and you have dinner.

Anyway, this recipe was completely made up. I seriously just dumped things in a pot and called it good. Usually when I go about making my soup this way I become the taste tester, add an ingredient, taste, add another ingredient, taste, et cetera et cetera. My taste buds came up with this:



Two Bean and Split Pea Soup


Ingredients:
  • 2 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup frozen carrots
  • 1 cup frozen celery (or roughly 2 stalks)
  • 1 can great northern beans
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1/2 cup dry split peas
  • 1 large clove garlic diced
  • 1 cup onion diced
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin puree (told you I'd be subtle)
Directions:
  1. In a large pot bring bouillon and water to a simmer and stir until cubes have dissolved.
  2. Next add your carrots, celery, onion and garlic to the water.
  3. Drain your cans of beans before adding it to the water.
  4. Then add your celery seed, bay leaf and oregano, stir well.
  5. Add your split peas. Turn heat down to a simmer and cover. Let cook for 45 minute or until split peas are soft stirring occasionally.

I used white kidney beans, but that's only because I didn't have red in my kitchen. It still turned out hearty and yummy though, and there were plenty left overs for lunch the next day. Fall =Soup Season, Happy Eating!

1 comment: