Monday, November 3, 2014

Beer and Brats Cheddar Soup

I have my traditions on Sunday, I like to get up early, drink my coffee and watch an old movie or read. Then watch some football and around 3 put something in the crock pot or start cooking something a little heftier than I usually cook for dinner. It's a lazy day, a day to rejuvenate before the new work week sets in and we all get tired again.


Well this Sunday, just like any other, I woke up around 7, drank some coffee and read a bit. The football games came on and the husband got up, and I sat here drinking my third cup of coffee and found I needed some soul food. Something that follows the four B's of food beer, butter, brats and bread. Such ecstasy on my lazy day:

Clark the cat digs the Sunday vibes.


Ingredients:
  • 1 medium carrot cleaned and chopped
  • 1 large onion cut in half and diced
  • 3 shallots chopped finely
  • 5 brats cooked and cut into 5ths
  • 10 oz cheddar cheese shredded
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp anise seeds
  • 1 beer
  • 2 cups chicken broth or stock
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp butter
Been digging some 80's jams lately, meaning I've been playing a lot of The Bangles and not hating it, sing it Belinda:



Directions:
  1. In a large pot fry onions, shallots and carrots in butter.
  2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour and broth. Then add to onions.
  3. Next add milk and olive oil and slowly add cheese, stirring well until melted.
  4. Stir in anise and beer. Add cooked brat bits next and stir until everything is heated through
  5. Serve with toast or crescents or biscuits or whatever!
Happy Eatings Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment