Saturday, October 25, 2014

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

You came here because of the title, because you said to yourself 'I love both of those things'. Well welcome to the autumn-y, cheesy and yummy recipe that is Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese. If you want hints of thanksgiving, the comfort of cheese and the baconness of bacon, you've come to the right place. It was so delicious I didn't even get a full picture of the end product, but that's also because I was feeding two very hungry boys and I myself felt like stuffing the whole thing into my mouth. So I snapped what was left before one of us grabbed another bowl and why do we need pictures all the time? This was delicious I have the satisfied bellies to prove it.


Ingredients:
  • 3 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 grated parmesan
  • 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 small butternut squash 
  • 2 tsp sage
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 5 slices bacon
  • pumpkin spice

I love love love Fiona Apple. I want her voice and I love this cover of a Buddy Holly's song and she's great to listen to during this time of year and every time of the year.





Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. Cut squash in half, sprinkle a dash of pumpkin spice top, place face down on a cookie sheet, cover in foil and bake for 45 minutes or until easily pierced with fork. Once done let cool the dice into cubes. 
  3. Raise oven heat to 425 degrees.
  4. Bring water to boil in a pot, and cook macaroni as directed on package. Drain when finished.
  5. While macaroni cooks, cook bacon in a skillet, chop into pieces and place on paper towel and set aside.
  6. In bacon fat and olive oil fry up garlic, turn down heat and add flour mixing constantly so it doesn't burn. Slowly add milk and whisk until thick.
  7. Add cheddar and parmesan still whisking constantly. Once cheese is fully melted, add it to the macaroni noodles, along with bacon, sage and squash. Mix well.
  8. Dump macaroni in a baking dish, salt and pepper to taste then bake for 10 minutes.
  9. Serve!

Happy Eatings Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment